For more information on Allergy Statistics:
People with food allergies have an allergic reaction when they come in contact with certain foods. This happens because their immune system overreacts to the proteins in that food. Twelve million people in the United States have food allergies.
Eight kinds of food cause most food allergies:
- Cow's milk
- Tree nuts
Signs of a food allergy include:
- A rash, or red, itchy skin
- Stuffy or itchy nose, sneezing, or itchy and teary eyes
- Vomiting, stomach cramps or diarrhea
- Angioedema or swelling
Some people with food allergies can have a serious reaction called anaphylaxis. Signs of this kind of reaction include:
- Hoarseness, throat tightness or a lump in the throat
- Wheezing, chest tightness or trouble breathing
- Tingling in the hands or feet, lips or scalp
If you have any of these symptoms, call 911 immediately.